Monday, March 05, 2007
How to Choose a Wine, Sarah Smile Style.
First off, a disclaimer.
While this system IS based on my own experience, I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about. I don't know much about wine, and I have no great sense of taste when it comes to a good wine versus a bad wine. (This makes me a cheap date, so yay!) I fully admit that I might enjoy the wines I pick, because the system of picking them was so much fun. But why does it matter why you enjoy a wine, as long as you do?

So what will this system do for you?

It's very easy to remember, it will make you look like you know what you're doing in the wine aisle, and it will get you out of the aisle quicker. (So more time for drinking, yay!)
No more wandering, glazed eyes, up and down the aisle, using price as your only indicator of quality, not knowing what to look for on the label, and generally looking ignorant as chic people brush past you and pick confidently.
And you end up either spending a fortune because you don't want to gamble on a mid-priced wine, or you end up sticking with one kind and never trying something new, which is probably the best way of actually developing taste and confidence in your wine choices.

So, good system or bad system, having one helps.
And here's mine.
Three steps.

One, look for an animal on the label.

Two, the less appetizing the animal on the label, the better the wine will be. For example, a wine with a crow or kangaroo on it will be better than a wine with a cow on it.

Three, if you still need to narrow it down, pick the wine that matches the decor of your house the best. This is perfectly acceptable because wine is a multi-sensory experience. Have you ever had a glass of wine that you didn't feel the urge to take a picture of? I haven't. And can you really TRULY enjoy a glass of wine if you're looking at something that offends your artistic sensibilities?
It's not a person, so it's perfectly acceptable to judge it by it's label.



And always remember, life is too short to worry if it's ok to like something.

Labels: , , , , , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger Minoa said...

It's like a wine contest. They all get judged on their looks, not so much on their talents.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will totally use this method the next time I shop for wine!

In my opinion, animals are the answer to everything, so why not wine? Totally makes sense!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always go for the pretty labels. Or interesting names! I found and LOVE Zeven Deadly Zins this way! (fits both descriptions, BTW)
And when I come accross a shitty bottle of wine, I save it and cook with it. Fill a spray bottle with half soy sauce, and half cheap bottle of red wine. Spritz your steak with it every so often as you're cooking it on the grill. It will change your life forever!

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Colsy - That's why I always dress up my bottles with tiny sashes and tiaras.

DD - I knew you'd understand.

Norma - I'll have to try that wine, it sounds great. And that's an AWESOME tip, although when I come across a shitty bottle of wine, I just keep chugging. It always seems to taste better. Eventually, anyway.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

<< Home