Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Spillover

People often ask me if I answer my cell phone with the same greeting that I use all day at work.
To which I always respond, "No, are you kidding? I never answer my cell phone."


But my work as a receptionist has definitely spilled over into my private life in lots of ways. Not the least of which is .....

  1. I never answer my cell phone. I love my job, but by the end of the day, I'm soooooooooo done talking on the phone.
  2. When I pick a new hair cut, I make sure it will look ok with a headset.
  3. When I end a conversation with a person standing in front of me at my desk, I often hit the headset button, as if 'hanging up' on our conversation.
  4. I use my phone voice, never to my friends, but to anyone I want to impress.
  5. I get annoyed when people let their phones ring. It needs to answered, like a crying baby needs to be comforted.
  6. Sometimes I answer other people's phone, because the ringing to me is like an insistent tapping and someone calling my name, all at once.
  7. I never buy a pair of pants without sitting down in them and letting my gut out.
  8. I never worry about whether or not my shoes are work appropriate, since nobody sees them anyway. I'm like a newscaster.
  9. I've graduated past being "a good liar," to an artist who works in the medium of Lie.
  10. I can talk on the phone with my mouth full and you'd never know it. PRACTICE, man. I've gotten lots of practice multitasking.

Labels: , , , , ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

walruses? Why do they want to get her? Who is her? Why always? Walruses?

It's just crazy enough to make sense.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Walruses, and always together. Explanation forthcoming, I promise.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and I love your seahorse earrings!

I had my ears pierced when I was 16 and wore earrings all the time. Then when I had my son, I had to stop wearing them because he would always yank on them. A few years ago I tried on a pair of my old earrings (a Micheal Jackson glove with fake diamonds on one ear and a fake diamond stud on the other-I'm not kidding!) but one of the holes had closed up. I've been wanting to get them redone for some time.

Those seahorse earrings may be just the kick in the butt I need to finally do it!

Blogger Hank said...

Walruses and Always Together. Sounds vaguely...Rezzie-ish. That, or the title of a country-western song.

Which reminds me of a joke: what do you get when you play a country-western song backwards? You get your job back, your truck back, and your girlfriend back.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

DD - I will keep posting pictures of my favorite earrings until you do it. Earrings are the best jewelry, especially if they're dangly.

Lefty - Hee. There should be a country song by that name.

Post a Comment

<< Home