Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Adventure
Ten AM on Sat morning, I'm showering, getting ready to head up to the lovely MK's place to help her move.
Nick pokes his head in. "I'm leaving for my bike ride."
We say a quick goodbye.*

Five minutes later (no really, I get ready pretty quick, I'm low-maintainance [lazy?] that way) I was gathering my things together and couldn't find my car keys.
Anywhere.

After a thorough ransacking of my own house, I realized that Nick must have left with them, by accident. Along with the only working phone in the house at the moment. (Winston has complex emotional issues that keep him from functioning normally from time to time. I'm understanding, because frankly, I have days like that too sometimes.)

So Nick had my keys and I couldn't call him, or go find him.

I had no choice but to sit and wait.

Was I annoyed? Frustrated a bit I suppose, but only until the moment Nick opened the door, wheezing and apologizing. He'd ridden for an hour and a half, stuck his hand in his pocket,* realized he had the keys, and gotten all the way back home (uphill) in only 45 minutes. I couldn't be upset.

I called MK and told her I was NOW on my way.
Winston revived, and I asked Nick to text me MK's number because I didn't have it in my phone, only his.

A little over two hours later, I called MK to let her know I was in front of her old apartment. It went straight to voice mail. Nobody was there.

I did some Fill-In puzzles,* soaked up so sun, left a few more messages for MK. Two hours later, I was officially frustrated. It was now after 4pm. I called Nick and asked him to double check the number he'd text to me.

Oops. There was the trouble. Nick had sent the wrong number and I'd been leaving messages for some random person.
Nick felt really bad, but hey, how could I be mad? I make ridiculous mistakes all the time, like the time I killed Nick's hard-drive, or hogtied myself to my own desk.*

I called the real MK, got directions to her new place, and arrived just in time to not have to carry anything upstairs. Sweet.

General arranging and unpacking ensued, mostly of heads* (MK has lots of them). Also mischief, and one game of Hangman which I believe was pivotal in the unseen war of Good vs. Evil. Also, a margarita. Also, the words, "unlike most people I wouldn't define 'terrible' and 'awesome' as being at opposite ends of a spectrum." Also, shirt swapping. * Also, poodle swapping.

Naturally, most of my pictures were erased by the KGB, fearful of incrimination, but one survived.
It's of the boobie power plant* on the way up.
I call it, "Boobies in the Mist."



So. All that just to say that I think I'm going to keep prank calling that number I thought was MK's.










*not a euphemism

Labels: , , , , ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the patience of Ghandi high on pot and chillin'. No way in hell would I have waited that long so patiently. At either location. I would have picked up a 6pk of Negro Modelo beer and called it a day!

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Thank you, but poor MK had broken her foot and is on crutches, so to flake off at the last minute would have been really sucky of me. Especially since I did that at her birthday party.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must have a framed copy of "Boobies in the Mist" hanging in my house.

I just must!

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

DD - You're right. You must. Email me your address and I'll see if I can make that happen.

Post a Comment

<< Home