Sarah Smile - "What is blue ray disc anyway?"
My Nick - "It's like a DVD, just better."*
*quiet for a moment*
Sarah Smile - "Can I rant for a minute, like an 80 year old woman, and you can nod and then promptly forget all about it, because I really am too young to be talking like this?"
My Nick - "Uh, sure?"
Sarah Smile - "When I was a little girl, I had an ancient projector and some old silent movies, Keystone Cops and stuff like that. On warm summer evenings, I would watch them on the side of the house, with my dog Jubilee for company. The quality was horrible, because the projector was on the ground everyone had wide shoulders and a big bobble head from the angle, and everyone's face had the texture of stucco. And you know what? It was perfect. I don't think I've ever enjoyed movies more than I did those. I don't understand why we need to keep making movies better and better quality. Does it really even matter after a certain point? I mean, if it matters to some people, then they can just rock on with that, whatever, whatever makes you happy. But how about a little acknowledge meant to those of us that are perfectly happy with their VHS collection? Sometimes "good enough" really is good enough! I don't even want to try to keep up with all the "improvements."
My Nick - *nods*
Sarah Smile - "I'm over it now. Thank you. Now lets go watch the Office Space DVD on your laptop in bed."
*He explains it this simply because he knows me and technical stuff. I not only just want the short version, the short version is about all I can usually understand anyway.
Labels: actual conversations, autobio, I am such an old lady, My Nick, rant, TV





3 Comments:
Oh my goodness! I have made this exact same rant SOOOOO many times.
Usually directed at my teenage son.
Example:
Son: Mom, I must have the new {insert name of newest video game system here}!
Me: What's wrong with the one you have? The one you HAD to have, got and forced me to take on a second job to pay for?
Son: *rolls eyes* That thing? It is soooo old. This new one is so much better!
Me: Yes, until next week. So, no.
Son: God! We might as well live in the stone age in this house.
I'm with you on that one.
Here, in a nutshell, we have the most fundamental difference between men and women. For men, if it's got more buttons, higher quality (which is, as you rightly point out, indiscernible from whatever was previously the highest quality), more technical jargon attached to it, more possibilities, combinations, switches, dials, gizmos, thingys and bits to talk about when girls start talking about shoes/fashion/models/vegetarian food/hair, it is AUTOMATICALLY better. Even if it is actually worse, it's better. Men will never understand why women don't understand this, and vice versa.
Post a Comment
<< Home