Thursday, January 18, 2007
Timeline
8:00 AM - I arrive at work.

8:18 AM - I nicely remind construction workers in room next to the lobby that because the phone are on now, that per their contract, they need to stop any loud work, which is only to be done by the after hours crew. I am informed airily by the construction workers that they "don't think they're gonna do that."

8:21 AM - I call our facilities manager to clarify that in fact, they are NOT supposed to be hammering during business hours.

8:28 AM - Facilities manager tells construction workers to wrap up the hammering, the construction workers promise to be done in 15 minutes, and cattily remark that the receptionist is "just" answering the phones, and that it doesn't matter if she can't. (!)

8:51 AM - Hammering is joined by drilling.

9:50 AM - I begin log of interrupted calls and loud noises of which I am not warned. (Ones of which I am warned I don't bother to log, because I simply turn off the phone in such cases.)

9:52 AM - Drilling is now going through metal.

10:17 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

10:18 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

10:24 AM -Drilling interrupts call.

10:36 AM - Drilling interrupts call of major customer.

10:39 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

10:40 AM - Drilling interrupts call. I begin to take the entire construction project personally.

10:44 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

10:45 AM - Drilling interrupts call. Head begins to hurt.

10:49 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

10:50 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

11:09 AM - Hammering on metal. I am no longer a good sport.

11:20 AM - Back to drilling.

11:23 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

11:26 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

11:30 AM - Drilling interrupts call.

11:40 AM - Drilling interrupts call. I show the facilities manager the log.

11:52 AM - Facilities manager tells construction workers to leave the building.

11:53 AM - Peace. Sweet peace.

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Sarah. That's not fun at all. We had construction workers directly in front of our office for weeks who felt it was necessary to jackhammer, use the backhoe, and haul vast amounts of junk out in very loud dumptrucks. All of it was headache worthy, and at times literally shaking the building.

Need some aspirin?

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

*nods*

Thank you both for the sympathy.

Post a Comment

<< Home