Thursday, December 28, 2006
A Letter To Me!
(From 'Rezzie, on my birthday.)


First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard this latest birthday was giving you a bit of trouble, was a bit of a shock, and so I thought, as an experienced (yet still new enough that I forget how old I am) 26 yr old, I could tell you a thing or two.

Being 26 means you're in the last year of your mid-twenties. You're not yet in your late twenties. Nothing to panic about.

Being 26 has nothing to do with cartoons, colouring, or eating candy. (nothing to do with, as in it's ok if I still indulge in all three?)

Being 26 means you are younger than 30, which means there is still lots of time to have that I'm 30 yrs old crisis, and you can decide how you'll want to handle that when it happens. (I think I'll plan to handle the crisis with a lot of lollipops)

Being 26 means you've officially passed that crazy part of life where you do things because you feel like doing them even though they're completely ridiculous, and if you really think about it it's really the crazy hormones who are making you yell you're not even angry or anything, why are you being so unreasonable?

Being 26 doesn't mean you look your age. I'll bet you still get carded, don't you Veaj. (Carded? I get asked by old ladies if I'm excited about school starting back up and whether or not I like gym class)

Being 26 marks the over-two-year blogaversary. You've been blogging for years! You can say that now! Years with an "s"! Not that you couldn't months ago, but now it's a healthy two years. It's OVER two years. You know. I'm sure you know what I mean. (Which makes my longest relationship with ........ well, you guys. Sweet.)

Being 26 means you can start thinking about grownup things without it being ridiculous. Like having children, which is absolutely ridiculous at age 25. Well, not really, but you're older, hopefully wiser, and generally in a better position to care for children yourself now. Since you want children, I mention it. You can be more comfortable with the idea now. (That's true. I do find the idea of being someone's mother ever so slightly less terrifying now.)

Being 26 means you have a lot of things to look forward to in your life. You're going to love being in your 50s, 60s, 70s... why not 20s, 30s, 40s? The mystery is what makes it exciting to live.

Being 26 means you learn more about what you want out of life, and you filter out the bullshit that you feel like you have to go through when you're younger. You don't have to waste your time on people you don't appreciate or who don't appreciate you. You have real friends and they love you. I'm pretty sure you have a firm toehold on that whole concept, but it's one of those things that usually come with time, so... you know.

Being 26 has nothing to do with the average age people get married these days, which is 31. (Oh, no worries there. To be married at 26 would be a very sensible and boring thing to do. To be married younger is reckless and romantic, to be married later is quieter and sweeter, but to be married at 26? Boring.)

Being 26 just means being a dork is better. The older you get, the better it is to be a dork. You're just stepping into your prime!

Being doesn't mean there are new rules or anything. We make our own rules. There are no rules. (Wooooooooooohooooooooo!)

Being 26 means you might get to meet me. Because I have a good feeling about this year. Well, it doesn't really mean you might get to meet me, because it may be a bit longer, but it definitely means we're closer to meeting each other. HOW COOL IS THAT! I still get excited when I plan it. In the near future, distant future. I don't know, but... you know.

Being 26 means you join the ranks of the likes of Mr Jonny Opinion, Miss Kendra, and Rezzie. We may very well be the three coolest people you know. (True, you might very well be the coolest people I know. Remind me to send you guys your tiaras and sashes.)

So all in all... being 26? It's really not all that bad. It's actually pretty ace. Awesome. Yeah!

So Happy Birthday, VeaJae. I love you!

Rezzie

PS. *looks to left, looks to right, quickly waves in a justice of the peace, a walrus, three giraffes, a hippo, a baby moose, thirty guests and a cake, marries VJ inconspicuously while she plays with the moose*

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Hank said...

Today's your birthday??

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Ah...26. I remember 26. Barely. It was over 10 years ago after all. OK, OK, it was over 11 years ago. Fine.

At 26, I was prosecuting misdemeanors in the Bronx. Um...the serious misdemeanors, really.

Happy Birthday, Veaj. 25 wasn't so bad for you, was it? The blog. Rezzie. Nick! Just think how great 26 will be!

Post a Comment

<< Home