Wednesday, April 18, 2007
I suppose you're wondering why I've called you all together today.
I need you, my Board of Directors, to help determine the future of ValancyJane Enterprises, Inc.

And yes, I have decided to return to the name Valancy Jane. For a while I used Sarah Smile, because it was closer to my real name and I wanted to prove that I wasn't afraid to put my name on what I wrote, and also for the sentimental reason that My Nick calls me Sarah, which made me like my given name for pretty much the first time ever.
Both excellent points but I feel they've been made.
For personal branding reasons, and also personal preference, I am returning to Valancy Jane.

But on to more pressing matters.

As you all by now probably know, on Friday at 12:30pm, Google "disabled" my account. To be shut out of both my gmail and blogger accounts without so much as a warning was a bit like coming home to find that your longtime lover had locked you out and wouldn't let you see your kids. I over-dramatize here, but only a little.

Five days later, Google, again with no explanation, simply a form letter apology, has reopened the doors.

But where did I go for those five days?

Most of you know, most of you found my comment on the post below (commenting on your own blog feels like ringing your own doorbell) that I, in my dire loneliness, had gone to Wordpress. And preceded to get very comfy there.
Go look. My shoes are definitely off. My toothbrush is next to the sink.
See, I had no idea if Google would EVER let me back.

But it has, so now I feel like Kate Bekinsale in that Pearl Harbor movie.
Like a nurse in the war and my fiancee is supposedly dead so I start dating Josh Hartnett and have that great sex scene amidst the hanging parachutes, and then Ben Affleck comes back because he was never really dead and now who do I marry?
As you can see, it's been an emotional five days.
And it's not a choice between Josh and Ben, because that would be easy (hellooooooooo, Ben, duh). It's a choice between my two blogs.
Ignore my little wordpress blog like a pregnancy I aborted ("I just wasn't prepared to raise another blog! It's my choice!") or move out of the blogger blog I've built up and worked on, like a sad old victorian house that you walk past and wonder about, while it's porch sags and it's corners fill up with spam comments?
(Again, I over-dramatize, but only a smidge.)

I need your advice.

To help, I present the following -

Reasons to stay with Google/Blogger -
Logical - more leeway with the layouts, nobody has to update their links to me, no 'old blog - new blog' confusion when googled.
Emotional - we have history together, up until five days ago it's been very good to me, it's comfortable.

Reasons to stay with Wordpress -
Logical - It's better (no really, technologically speaking, it's more advanced and easy to use), I can import all my old posts so it all stays together, and I can have 'valancyjane' as the address instead of 'vjgreetings' which only made sense back when the title of the blog was 'greetings from the lobby.'
Emotional - It never kicked me to the curb, in fact it took me in when I had nowhere to post.


You now have the floor, ladies and gentlemen.

Labels: , ,



6 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hmm. . .that's a puzzler. I mean this blog is your baby but now you get to have a new child over at Wordpress. My thought is nurture your child here and your new baby at Wordpress and that way you can have a dual personality.

Blogger Minoa said...

You know how much I love Blogger, right? But you need to do what's best for you. I'm voting for Wordpress.

Blogger Melina said...

I don't like change. Stay here!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! Do you know how bad I am at giving advice?

If I had to go based on what I want, I'd vote for staying here because I am like Melina and hate change.

However, we all know this is about you and what is best for you, so I vote that whatever you decide to do, I will support and I will continue to read, laugh and visit you, no matter where you hang that "Home Sweet Home" sign.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to come out of retirement for this one, Veaj.

You do remember how much I hated Blogger, right? My rants and raves about it? And how I pushed wordpress? Remember?

I must admit that it's gotten better, a bit better, blogger has.

But not enough. Go with Wordpress.

Bathroom Reading.

Blogger Michael said...

I still enjoy the blogger blog, it's vintage and comfortable. I was blocked out of my blog a month ago, they suspected I was a spam bot or something because of all the videos I cross post from other sites. I think that now that you have been 'Google Certified Human' you'll never have that problem again.

Post a Comment

<< Home