Thursday, April 12, 2007
I always said when I had enough pets, I'd stop.
Nobody seemed to believe me. But I always knew I meant it.
Just because that threshold was farther out than most people's, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

*sigh*

There's been another accidental finch pregnancy. See, Maddox is such a punk that he fights with everyone but Hazel, even his own kids, and I can't put him by himself, so I have to keep him with Hazel the Prolific.
The method of birth control we've been using so far is for me to raid her nest and throw out the eggs. But she makes this strangled chirping noise when I do it, and I feel so bad upsetting her that I only do it when I see eggs in there.
And Hazel's gotten sneaky, hiding them under the nest bedding.
But I really have no one to blame but myself when I looked in and saw three little open beaks pointed back at me.

Of course I'll take great care of them, since they're my responsibility, but I think I'm going to try to find them another good home. It's not that I'd say these three additions push us into the range of Too Many Birds, but they definitely tip us into Enough Birds.

I have enough birds.

In the meantime, I get the fun of watching them grow up. Last night, the biggest of the three came out of the nest for the first time! Isn't s/he adorable?Soon his/her markings will come in, and then we'll know if he or she is in fact, a he or a she.
And I'll have the fun of setting up a big pretty cage for 'em with toys.

And then the hard part.

*sigh*

Anybody want some sweet little finches?

Labels: , , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Wow! oh! Wow!

I'm sorry you can hit me to stop the skipping but Oh! Wow! Oh! Wow!

More birdies! Hazel is soooo smart! She hid them from you. Now, I know that this smartness on her part makes life a pain for you, but I am most certainly charmed by her cleverness.

How I wish I could have Hazel's offspring. I'd name them Nut, Eyes, and Wood.

Post a Comment

<< Home