Well, they were sorta my step-great-grandparents. Previously. By marriage. To people who are now deceased.
Basically, they're not related to me and my great-grandparents aren't my great-grandparents at all.
My great-grandmother, who's name I don't recall, and never met, died. So my great-grandfather, who's name I don't recall and who I also never met, married Claire, and then he died. Claire married Raleigh.
So when the dust settled, Claire and Raleigh had amassed a great fortune of step-relatives. I say fortune, because they were sweet enough to see us that way. They sent me animal posters and long letters (even though Claire had arthritis in her hands and the only thing that was easy to make out in the letters was her sweet and thoughtful nature) and a Christmas card that said, "the stockings were hung by the chimney with Claire" with a drawing of an old woman hung with the stockings (by the apron strings, not by her neck, it wasn't THAT demented), and they invited us to their house in the desert once when they got a thin layer of snow, and let me muss up their whole front yard by scraping it all into one rather dirty snowman.
So all that to say that I wish they were still alive because they were my kind of people.





7 Comments:
*wipes a tear*
awww.... how adorable!
*chuckles at the thought of Claire hung by her apron strings
I wanna be like them when I grow up.
Claire and Raleigh sound lovely. And fun. And warm and kind.
Raleigh is an awesome name.
Isn't it grand to have such wonderful people in our lives, even if they are no longer physically with us?
I felt the same way about my son's Great-Grandmother on his "fathers" side. Her name was Opal (she is the one that passed in November. And I loved her with a firery love that will never die even though she was only related to me through my son's blood line, she treated me like her very own and called me her Ladybug.)
My family is a pretty mixed bag, but almost without exception, we marry up and out of our league. It's a great tradtion.
awww! I don't have grandparents. Well, I mean, I did.. but they were all in Mexico. So I didn't grow up around them. Well, I have memories of them but not many. I was about 8 when I moved to the states.
My husbands family is pretty much my only family. thank God he was born into good family because it would really suck otherwise.
Sarah, I think you might already be.... not grown up... but like them... from what I can tell from your bloggy anyways.
Hee. Thank you Norma.
Post a Comment
<< Home