Thursday, February 01, 2007
Guilty Pleasure
As I might have mentioned, I watch Beauty and the Geek. I try to pretend that I just happen to be home every Weds night, but it's no accident. I even make sure the TV is on the right channel long before, so that I don't have to obviously switch over to watch it, it's just 'what's on next.' It's a very elaborate deception, aimed mostly at myself. My life has begun to revolve around a TV show. I have become what I despise.

But anyhooooo, lost ideals, hating myself, blah, blah, blah, whatever.
Did anyone else see it last night?

I was very sad to see Mario and Nadia leave.

I thought Mario was sweet. Remember the challenge where they had to sketch a nude model, but afterwards they found out the real challenge was to remember what the model had talked about and Mario was the only one of the geeks who even remembered her name?
Mario seemed like the most genuinely nice guy in the group. And I thought his strategy for getting phone numbers in that other challenge was brilliant. (He just flat out told women that he was gathering numbers to prove to himself that he could, to build his self-confidence. It came out much less creepy and forced than the other guys, who were trying to turn small talk into numbers as fast as possible and looking around constantly while they were at it. Women were happy to give him the boost, without fear that he'd actually CALL them. Which might not be great in the outside world, but for the game it worked very well.)
And Nadia was the most tolerable of the blonds, she didn't seem to be laboring under the delusion that dumb was sexy. While she didn't seem to be the most scheming or ambitious, she did appear to take the studying the most seriously. And while she and Mario seemed to have almost nothing in common, they were both very supportive of each other, and brought out the best in each other.


But the consolation from the elimination round between Mario/Nadia and Niels/Jennylee is that Jennylee is still around to make out with Nate and have them both labor under the delusion that the viewers haven't seen them.
The footage ran as follows. JennyLee was hugging on Nate (and Nate finally seems to be cluing into the fact that Jennylee wants to jump him) and subtitles appear on the bottom of the screen as in a whisper Jennylee spells it out to Nate WHY she wants him to promise to come visit her after the show has ended. Nate whispers back that there's something he wants to do but probably shouldn't.
The footage cuts to Nate and Jennylee sitting on a staircase in another part of the house, where they no doubt think they are alone. The camera is filming in night vision, through a window, from outside the house. They alternate making out with looking around guiltily.

The next morning Nate catches himself mid sentence.

"Yes, I'm very happy Jennylee wasn't eliminated. I would be sad if she wasn't here in the morning to wake me up ........ with a hug. Uh, we've become ..... good friends."

And while I think Jennylee likes Nate, and Nate likes the idea that he can make out with a hot blond, I think it was equally meaningful to both of them. So, you know, go them!
But remember the moral of the story, it's a reality show. Do whatever you like, just don't make the mistake of thinking it's not on camera.

But I do think somebody should clue in Jennylee's partner, Niels. Not that I think he'd care much, rather he'd finally figure out why Jennylee hit the roof (and I do mean hit the roof) and still hasn't forgiven him since he suggested (quite shrewdly) that they send Nate and Cecille to the elimination room. I'm sure Cecille is too busy wondering why her inner monologue seems to echo, to do more than fly into another drunken rage like she did at Niels when she got back from the elimination round. Sorry, I know it's prejudice on my part, but I just can't take anyone who looks (and acts) that much like Anna Nicole seriously.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home