Thursday, November 30, 2006
Good Is Good Enough.
I have an employee review this morning. I'm mentioned before that no matter how good a job I do, reviews always send me off into a tailspin of self doubt. The spiral ends with me picturing myself being homeless and alone. I don't worry about many things, but the things I do worry about, I can always spin them into picturing myself homeless and alone. It's like the six degrees of Kevin Bacon game.
Yes, I do know I'm nuts, but that doesn't seem to help much in this case.

Yesterday morning, the lobby was a bit chaotic. There was a lot going on, and a lot of people wanted things for me, and the thought of letting anybody down was pushing me down that spiral.

And then suddenly, out of nowhere, a feeling of calm came over me. I'm a damn good receptionist. I'm not a perfect one, I do make mistakes. That prolly makes me more tolerable. Seriously, nobody likes perfect people.

And I feel ok now.

Or at least I did until the following exchange this morning with one of the guys who works with my boss.

"'Mornin!"

"'Mornin. Say, were your ears burning last night?"

"Er, no, why?"

"We were telling stories about you."

"Stories?"

"Don't worry, good stories."

"How is, 'she's great, give her a raise' a story?"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home