Wednesday, November 22, 2006
By Request
(And by 'by request' I mean I asked Colsy what I should blog about next and she suggested the following.)

Holiday Phobias
There's plenty of dreaded gift situations, like that year when everyone in our family gave each other flashlights. (And shockingly, this didn't turn into a lights out game of hide and seek.)
Or when you have to meet your significant other's family, and it goes badly. I won't name names but there was the family whose ONLY idea of fun was talking about kitchen remodels (I didn't realize you could buy wall art painted entirely in shades of beige and grey, and I still don't understand why you would want such a thing), the raging alcoholics ("lets drive to another bar!", and the boyfriend's family who disliked me (I believe they thought I was too reckless and uppity since at the tender age of 23 I lived on my own, god only knows what sin and debauchery a young unguided girl could get into, to which I barely managed to not reply "exactly, that's just the point") yet gave me really expensive presents. THAT was awkward and annoying.
Or when you get a sweet and well thought out present from someone you thought you weren't exchanging gifts with, and they aren't buying the old "I forgot your present at home" excuse.


Presents for animals for the holidays
I usually try to get each of my pets a little something, but my fishtanks are getting crowded from all the plants and such, so perhaps this year I'll cook up some veggies for them as a treat. The other pets are easier to shop for, they always need new toys to keep them occupied.


Decorating with Animals
First off, you gotta break up the heights of the furniture in any given room. Too many pieces of furniture at around the same height allows them to get up to speed. It's harder to knock over a Christmas tree if its in between two tall bookcases. It's harder to knock over a gingerbread house if its on a high shelf between a floor lamp and a loveseat.
Second, you gotta make sure your holiday decorations aren't toxic. And don't leave baked goods to cool unattended if they have chocolate in them. Securely wrap any presents you wouldn't want a nosy cat or dog getting into.
I assume Colsy meant the challenges of decorating with animals in the house, and not using animals as decorations themselves, but just in case, lets cover that briefly. Reindeer are inherently festive. Doves are messy. And never underestimate the holiday cheer that comes from putting a kicky scarf on the dog.

Next time, how to jazz up your Thanksgiving leftovers!


1 Comments:

Blogger Minoa said...

I love this post!

Oh...and I misread 'kicky scarf'.... That sentence is so much more appropriate now.

Post a Comment

<< Home