Monday, November 27, 2006
Ask Miss VJ
Dear Miss VJ,
I am in a Christmas decorating quandry! A quandry! My strings of cranberries are wrapped around my gutters because I don't want to offend anyone with my tri-color icicle lights. Instead of "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear", I have "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer". I made a gingerbread tee-pee, and instead of a nativity scene I have "Scenes from a Mall" done in play-doh. I also hung my mistletoe in my car.
I'm afraid that the Anti-Crannies and the Pro-Granny groups will be picketing outside of my window by the end of the week! I'm not exactly pro-Christian, but I don't want to be persecuted for my pro-pagan ways either. I consider Christmas to be one holiday that every culture has taken over in one way or another. Should I chuck all of the tinsel and decorate with camoflauge instead?
After all, I don't want to end up like this poor girl:
Merry me?
Minoa


*sets down a letter titled 'Dear Santa'*

*sips eggnog*


Dear Miss Minoa,

You're the angel that tops my tree, m'dear. So lets clear this up.
It's a wonderful thing to learn about other people's holiday traditions and incorporate them into your own if they feel meaningful to you. But since when is it offensive to celebrate your own traditions? I realize some people take issue with the Christian church for various reasons(which certainly is their right), but most people who celebrate Christmas do it in a very secular way (just ask the Christians) and besides, to hold the entire European/American culture responsible is really just a form of racism, and worse still, it's just absurd.
Anybody who gets offended so easily and needlessly doesn't deserve to celebrate anything. Perhaps their holiday sweater is too itchy.

Remember, you only have to listen to people who have something worthwhile to say.
So go, celebrate your little heart out!

Adorably,
Miss VJ

*twirls her dreidel*

*lights a St. Lucia wreath, puts it on her head and twirls*

Next question, please.


4 Comments:

Blogger Minoa said...

Yay!
That was wonderful!
Now for the next question...*screws in a red lightbulb*

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

*waits expectantly*

Blogger egan said...

I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I hope you're well down there.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

All is well, glad you stopped in!

Post a Comment

<< Home