Tuesday, October 31, 2006
One Man's Weed Is Another Man's Flower Bed.
And that second man prolly lives in San Diego.


Once on a flight to Seattle, I was chatting with the Washington state native seated next to me. After we touched down on the runway, we had to wait before we could approach the gate. I looked out the window, at the grass next to the runway, and a little yellow flower blooming happily.

"What plant is that?" I asked.

The man looked at me oddly. "What plant?"

"That one, right there, with the flowers."

"Oh, that? That's just a weed," he said.

I laughed. "Not where I come from. It's green and alive and growing of it's own volition. In southern California I'm certain that flower, if it would even condescend to grow in our dry soil, has a latin name, a horticulture society, and it's seeds are sold in Wal-Mart with a label stating that's it's 'hardy and low maintainence.' If we could get that 'weed' to grow alongside our freeways, it would be our state flower. If it's invasive, we call it a 'ground cover.' No, my friend, 'weed' is in the eye of the beholder, and were I come from, there are no weeds."


And so I suggest that if you have something that is considered a weed, it's merely in the wrong state and should be mailed to -

Rest Stop 40
Highway 101, CA

We'll know what to do with it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home