Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Goldfish

Why is it that when people find out I have goldfish they always sniff and suggest what sort of fish I should get instead?
I love my goldfish.
I maintain that they are the perfect pet.
They are ridiculously hardy. I haven't lost a goldfish yet. I have every reason to expect they'll live 10 years.
They're insanely cheap, as pets go.
They require very little. A secondhand tank, a $30 filter, and a $5 bottle of water conditioner and you're in business. Even the filter is optional.
An occasional filter cartridge change and a daily feeding is all the time required. No handling poop.
And my goldfish know me.
They rush up to the side of the tank to greet me.
They hang out at the end of the tank closest to me.
They're whole bodies wag when I feed them.
And you really can pet them.
They don't bark, shed or require a pet sitter.

Top that with your boring, expensive, fragile, "exotic" fish.


6 Comments:

Blogger Minoa said...

I've been trying to convince Glenn for the longest time that I need a koi pond. They really are just big goldfish. And are NOT ugly. Goldfish really are the classic pet.

Blogger PomHeart said...

i used to pet my fish when i was younger. i still do.

Blogger egan said...

Are these new goldfish? Is the pet count still at 25?

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Tell Glenn it's true, you DO need a koi pond.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

WK - I understand. Goldfish remind me of dogs.

Egan - No, these are the same ones I've had forever. I won two of them at a fair a few years ago and I bought the other two shortly after that, out of the feeder tank in a pet store.

Blogger Sara said...

Goldfish DO live a long time. I have two that are over 8 years old and they've grown bigger than my hand. They're wonderful! I've never bothered with any other kind of fish.

Post a Comment

<< Home