Friday, August 11, 2006
ZezZee
The first time I met ZezZee, she was five years old, and I was 12.
Due to her amiable nature and marked resemblance to a china doll, I too made the comman mistake of underestimating the strength of her will.
As her babysitter, I picked out a dress for her to wear that day, and quickly learned that nobody tells her what to wear. Nobody.
And I loved her for it.

I thought of that last night while she and I were out shopping. I saw so many cute dresses that I thought were simply made for her trim little figure and while she did try on a few dresses that I shoved at her, she merely smiled at her reflection and each time said, "It's nice. It's very you."


ZezZee leaves for college on Weds. Full scholarship to the film school at USC. I think I've been in denial all summer that she's really going. But last night it hit me that my favorite sidekick doesn't really live here anymore, and her visits home would be only that, visits.

And of course, because I love her so, I think it's inevitable that I worry about how the world out there will treat her. Despite my wishes, I know it won't all be good. But I put my faith in that imfamous backbone, and her wit and charm and diplomacy will smooth over the rough edges.
Nobody will tell my little ZezZee who she is. Nobody.
I couldn't wish a better life on her than the one that I forsee, to be happy and loved, on her own terms.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home