Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Colsy Sent Me Questions About Pets
What were the three more exotic pets you have ever taken care of?
One time I found a giant turtle on my front lawn and I fed it lettuce and water until it's owner showed up a few hours later. I had a couple of angora rabbits that looked like ewoks. Found and kept a catapiller once, and got to watch it turn into a butterfly.


What is your fantasy menagerie?
Noah's Ark.


How does one take care of a rat?
It's relatively simple. They need a decent sized cage, a water bottle, a food dish, and clean bedding (paper works well but you have to change it more often, cedar chips can cause upper respitory infections). I reccomend a toy or two, like a ball, a wheel, and something (non-toxic) to chew on. I find that bird toys work great, and have a much bigger selections. And they really enjoy something they can hide in.
Watch for sniffles or sneezes, that means they need a vet.
They can eat most of what you eat, so treats are easy. They can have plenty, as long as it's a good healthy variety.


What pets have you had the worst time keeping away from each other - due to predator/prey habits? I haven't had any trouble with any of my pets, but Mau got out once and brought me back a dead baby rabbit. That was pretty horrible.



What pets have you had to keep off of each other - due to mating habits?
Maddox and Hazel, my finches. Actually, I just took away the nest box. That worked.



Have you ever dressed up your pets, made them fancy dinners, birthdays, or celebrations?
They each have stockings on Christmas, and I buy them each a present. I don't know most of my pets birthdays, but I give both the cats tuna on Mau's birthday.


What is the perfect pet for the following locations:


1. Drafty room in a tower of an old castle
Not many animals thrive in those conditions, but a bear might.

2. Hermit's hut in the forest by a lake
A owl.

3. City - highrise
Cat. They like heights.

4. A post office
Fish. They can lick the stamps for you.

5. Old woman's closet
A rat. They like the dark.

6. Underneath your desk
A rabbit. Very little telltattle noise.

7. Behind a school
A horse. He can eat the teacher's apples.

8. In a zoo keeper's office
A two headed snake. A zoo keeper has a rep to keep up.

9. Dashboard of a car
Maybe certain types of desert lizard, but most things don't appreciate that kind of heat. So maybe just a stuffed animal or pet rock.

10. Your shoulder
A bird. They like shoulders and hair and earrings and talking to you.


2 Comments:

Blogger Minoa said...

Yay! Those were wonderfully entertaining answers.

Bird supplies for rats....

Can't wait to hear about the pet adventures at the love shack. So far, JMsey is showing us all his dexterity as a cleaner.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Yeah, a lot of bird supplies work well for rats, like the ladders and wooden toys.

Post a Comment

<< Home