Monday, August 07, 2006
Another Actual Conversation
Little Girl - "So Mommy, are we gonna get him?"

Mother - "Let me talk to this lady here, and call your dad to make sure he's ok with us getting a puppy."

Little Girl - "What should we name him?"

Bystander - *ears perk up*

Little Girl - "Spot?"

Bystander - *grits teeth*
*thinks 'Must. Not. Let. Girl. Name. Puppy. SPOT.'*

Little Girl - "Here Spot! Come here, Spot!"

Puppy - *ignores the call*

Bystander - *approves of puppy*
*frantically thinks 'If she starts at SPOT then there isn't much I can do toward infusing any creativity into her naming process. Anything I say isn't bound to do much. Can't make a suggestion that pushes too far. But Must. Not. Let. Girl. Name. Puppy. SPOT.'*

Little Girl - "Here, Spot!"

Bystander - "He looks like a Sparky to me."

Little Girl - *looks up, slightly confused*

Bystander - "Er, I'd better go."


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the same way when my husband wanted to name our stray, "Kitty." (Seems it's a tradition for him to name all his stray cats, Kitty.) But it was so uncreative (the cat version of Spot) that I just could.not.do.it! So, not wanting to break his long standing tradition, I tacked on Lou (where I got that name is another long story)and called it good. (And may I add that it really makes no difference that I did? Because she is mostly called Kitten.)
Sparky is a big step up from Spot.

Post a Comment

<< Home