Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Receptionist's Letter to the World.
Please do not keep dialing numbers after you've heard me pick up and say hello. It really hurts the eardrums. Don't tempt me to show you.

My name is not Beth, Pat or Diana. I quite distinctly articulated my name at the beginning of the phone call. So if you need to use my name in a condescending sentence, such as "Now Beth, it's really important that I speak with him or his subscription could be delayed," at least use my real name.

And no one wants that subscription. Least of all me, who has to lug 8 duplicate copies you send him all the way to the far end of the second floor only to watch him promptly throw them away.

I'm sorry the person you're calling for is busy and doesn't want to take your call. This does not mean I will go upstairs and physically force them to pick up the phone. They don't pay me to do that, and you don't pay me at all.

I have no idea which of the 200 people in the building just called you. No, I will not get up, turn off the phones and "go ask around." Listen to the message they left and call me back.

It saves us both a lot of time if you ask for someone by both a first and a last name. Particularly if the first name is comman.

If I can hear 8 different people making a sales pitch in the background, rest assured I won't put you through to anybody.

Dropping the CEO's name ever-so-casually still isn't effective if you pronounce it wrong.

Please don't call me, then sound annoyed when I pick up and tell me to hold on. Hang up and call me when you want me, I'm not letting the other lines go unanswered while you yell at your dog.

Please keep in mind that we receptionists lie every day for a living, and we are the most passive agressive creatures God ever created. So we know when you are lying, and bullying will land you in an endless voicemail purgatory.

Yelling will get you nowhere. Manners, everywhere.

Thank you and have a lovely day.


8 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Bradshaw said...

Bad day at work, chuck? I have a tally to judge how good or bad my days at work are, based on how many willies I see during the shift. It works like this: No willies - good day; one willie - average day; two willies - bad day.

Blogger PomHeart said...

mmmmm... my favorite is when i get the automated dialers that run through ever effing extention including ones we own but don't use thereby bombarding the front desk with calls forwarded from unused lines... for hours. every. two. seconds.

i had an anxiety attack because i NEEDED to answer the calls. i had a sense of duty. but they were always the same. so i turned off the phones, went outside, and cried. then called the company that was calling us and told them to stop it before we used legal actions. that was fun.

Blogger Karen said...

damn good right!i know that feeling. though i am not a receptionist and never been one but it's a kewl job to have...some people could really be annoying :(, i wish whoever did call could read this.

Blogger melissa said...

I love this post, and I'm all about linking to it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this written by you yeh VJ?

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Jonny, by your standard, I'm having an average day. Don't ask.

WendyKat, ask me about the day when the phone company accidently routed all 48 lines of Blue Bunny factory into our line.

Karen, lets all forward it to everyone we know.

Mlisso, thank you so much! I know you understand.

Helen, yeppers. I did.

Blogger Minoa said...

I want to compare a list of names between us.

Blogger Michael said...

I laughed hardest at the wrong pronounced CEO

Post a Comment

<< Home