Wednesday, April 05, 2006
And Then......
.......... Lola drops everything
and takes the seat on the couch between you and the door
and explains the plot of a french movie
but never shushes you for talking over it.

And then you slam the door in the face of a man who wanted to jam his foot in the door
both literally and metaphorically
and you only get away with it
because it surprised him,
a fact you find both insulting and delicious.

And then Bunny slips away from her busy life
to toast you with a late night pastry
and to tell you that you weren't stupid to have ever thought he was nice
but what does it matter now anyway
because now you are free and oh-so safe.

And then Nick tells you he's proud of you
when all he knows is that you're proud of yourself.

And then you flick the crumbs off the couch pillow
and eye your friends over the rim of a mug of mint tea,
noting in your head that the shape your mouth must take to sip from a thick mug
is the shape of a grin,
And then you realize that 'happily ever after'
is already here.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing is so bland that if I wasn't making a very deliberate effort, I wouldn't have picked up anything from that. It's like reading the side of a cereal box. Please leave the poetry to people who have something to say.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

*laughs*

It's been awhile since anyone thought me important enough to critize, thank you.

In fact, when 'Rez saw this, she accused me of having written your comment myself.

*still laughing*

I wish I'd thought of that.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Thanks Anne, you're a princess and a doll and maybe even one of the good witches.

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

*laughs*

Don't bother with Anonymous, Nick. He's actually written some of my favorite poems. Maybe he/she's right.

*laughs*

But I love that you're proud of me.

*pounces*

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

The biggest irony is that I had no idea I was writing a 'poem.'
I was just writing.

I wonder if Anonymous knew he/she was being an ass or if they were surprised by that after the fact, too.

Huh.

*giggles*

Great quote, Zompus.

Blogger beaky said...

I'm no poet either and don't know what makes good or bad poetry at all, but it sounded good to me anyway VJ!

*sticks tongue out at anonymous*

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Dawwwww, I heart you, Beaky.

And I suspect you look adorable when you stick your tongue out.

Post a Comment

<< Home