Monday, March 20, 2006
Wonder Walkabout.
Yesterday I left my house at 11AM. On foot. With no particular aim, other than the vague idea of going to the library.

I got to the library but it wasn't going to be open for a few hours, so I went to look at the birds in the petshop.

Then I wandered along Main St, and found a tiny cramped little arabic gift shop. If I hadn't been on foot, I would have instantly bought the small coffee cup and saucer set I found there. Each cup and saucer was a different base color and they had butterflies painted on them, and the handles look like wings. I'll go back and pick them up when I'm not walking. The price tag of $15.00 seemed rather low, and when I asked, she said it was $25.00. When I go back, I'll gladly pay it. I'm willing to be overcharged and it's still far less than I'd be willing to pay for it.

After one unpleasant stop at Kragen Auto Parts, where I let them know exactly what I think about the fact that they've sold me the wrong part four times now, and they're idea of remedying the situation is just to refuse to help me any longer. They got an earful, and I have some phone calls to the corporate office to make.

After that, I popped into another little shop and bought some cute knicknacks. Then I got picked up by ZezZee, who happened to be washing her car across the street, and we went to a late brunch at Bunny's. What can I say other than that time at Bunny's is good for the soul.

ZezZee dropped me back near where she'd picked me up, and I went to the library. I booked a timeslot for a computer, and did some browsing in the used bookstore there. I took one of the books across the street to an irish pub and drank a Guiness and read until my time for the computer came around.

I emailed Nick, (Hi Nick) and then wandered home with all the loot I'd picked up.

Borrowed from the library -
One Shakira CD/DVD of one of her concerts.
One CD of arabic music. The cover has no English words, just a picture of, oddly enough, Elizabeth Hurley.
One cookbook with ideas on how to cook a big meal on the weekend, and then incorporate the leftovers into new and interesting meals for the rest of the week.

Bought -
An owl shaped flyswatter
An owl shaped green ceramic oil lamp
Kitchen timer in the shape of a pear
A small hanging coatrack
Nails
A bottle opener
Kitchen shears
A cheese slicer
An egg slicer
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, paperback
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, paperback
Silas Marner by George Eliot, hardback, printed in 1929, with a red cover and very smooth pages
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, hardback, printed in 1941, green cover with a sketch of Manderley across the cover like a band. I already have at least one copy, but you always need a backup of the favorites, to loan out. "Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again......"
A Room with a View, by E.M. Forster
Living by the Word, by Alice Walker
Know Your Parakeets from The Pet Library
Tequila Mockingbird, a collection of animal cartoons from The New Yorker by Leo Cullum.


It all got kinda heavy by the time I walked home around 5:30 pm, but it was one of the loveliest days I've squandered in a long time.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi VJ.

Blogger Thérèse said...

The more I learn about you, the more I feel like I'm just re-learning things I already knew.

Post a Comment

<< Home