Wednesday, March 15, 2006
What Dreams May Come
I had a dream once, years and years ago. I dreamed that I was in a car which flew off the road, and when it landed, I was dying and I felt myself began to drift forewards out of my body. As I felt myself rushing forewards, the words "MOVE BACK" sounded loudly in my ear, and with a motion like that of a person treading water, I pushed backwards into my body with such force that it woke me up.



A week or so after this dream, some guy high on god-knows-what ran my car off a cliff.

As the car stopped at the bottom, I think I blacked out for a second or two. The car had landed on the passenger side and smoke and flames were rolling out of the hood. I looked down to my right to see if Lissy (my passenger/best friend) was alright. She wasn't there, she still says she's not sure how she got out of the car. That side of the car was even more battered than mine and I was scared.

The smoke and flames where getting worse. I was still strapped tightly in my seatbelt. I knew I had to get out and fast. The windshield was shattered but still in place, and the only thing I could see through it was the flames.
The smoke was coming through the vents of the car.
I desparatly tugged on my door handle, but the frame of the car was so bent that the door wouldn't budge. I looked at the broken safety glass of the window, wondering if it was worth a glass shower to get out, and then realizing that I had nothing but my own body parts available to break it with.
I swung at it rather weakly with the side of my forearm (it was a rather awkward position, strapped into the seat of a car that's on it's side), but the glass held.


It was getting very hot from the flames.


Suddenly that dream, and the voice came to mind. "MOVE BACK." It sounded so audible. Perhaps it was Lissy, but she has no memory of it.

I struggled out of my seatbelt and dropped down to the side of the car. I was standing on dirt, throught the broken passenger window.
I looked to the back of the car to see that the back window had broken out completely, with no jagged edges, and with the car on its side, it looked like a perfect doorway.

I picked amoung the glass and stepped out the back in fresh air just as the flames started coming through the dashboard.



I don't know what this all meant, but I do know that dream about dying saved my life.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's deep. My dreams are never nearly as pertinent.

There was a time a couple of years ago when I was commuting to a jobsite 70 miles away and hated every minute of it. I'd have to get out of the house at 5am every morning to get there by 6, and I usually wouldn't get home till after 5pm. One time I dreamed that I woke up, got ready for work, drove to work, worked a full day, and got home. And I remember part of the dream was that it was Friday, so I was looking forward to the weekend.

Then I woke up. It was Wednesday and it was time to go to work. I remember being more annoyed right then than any other moment since.

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

that's CRAZY!

i dream about bad stuff, or surreal stuff. never anything useful.

Blogger Bake Town said...

Yikes. That sounds pretty scarey. How long ago was that?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are okay.

Blogger Michael said...

That's an incredible story VJ. I believe in the legitimacy of dreams.

Post a Comment

<< Home