Friday, March 17, 2006
The Way Home.
The thing I love most about this time of year is that I drive home in my favorite hour of the day.
Just after sunset, 'til complete dark.
The 'dim.'
The 'witching hour.'

Admittedly, San Diego can look dry and brown under the noonday sun. The rocks look brown, the ground looks brown, the plants are a shade of green that is almost brown.

But just after sunset, the rocks look rosy, the shadows turn blue, the plants perk up and look greener, the sandy topsoil gleams a pale pink while the deep red soil peeks through in streaks. The eucalyptus trees stand navy blue against the slightly lighter sky, the lights shine out yellow against the shadowy sides of the hills.

And it smells like heaven. Warm sage, cool breeze, nightblooming flowers, spicy dirt.

Whenever I'm away from San Diego for long, it's this that I miss most.


3 Comments:

Blogger katie's brain said...

Now I'm dying to go to San Diego!

Blogger Karen said...

awww that sounds really nice and cool.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is quite nice down here. Unless you come down during fire season.

Post a Comment

<< Home