Monday, March 13, 2006
Go Ahead. Use The Nice Dishes.
On Sunday morning, after another crazy Girls Night In, the pile of dirty dishes was taking over my kitchen and I didn't feel like washing a coffee mug to drink out of. So I dug around in the top shelf of my cabinet and Devin and I had a fancy tea party with the china cups and saucers, the ones I got in a misc batch from my Tiny Gramie when she closed down her antique shop.

So many of my favorite treasures came from my Tiny Gramie. My favorite silver spoon, the old brooches I wear sometimes for no reason at all, and books with that lovely old-book smell.

In fact, the other day when I read that poem by Robert Louis Stevenson, I liked it so much, which surprised me because I'd never been more than a moderate fan of his work. Then I found in my bookshelves a whole book of his poetry. It had a great old cover, and the kind of paper they just don't use for books these days. The price was lightly penciled in the cover, by my Tiny Gramie's familiar hand. It was the first time I recall feeling a sense of discover within my own personal library and it made me feel so rich.

So, in the spirit of (re)discovered treasure, I am drinking my coffee from another of the china cups this morning, and I tip my cup to my Tiny Gramie.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my buddy used to say...

"A cup? Who you tryin' to impress?"

*puts a pinch of tea in mouth and takes a mouthful of hot water, swishes around, and swallows*

Post a Comment

<< Home