Thursday, March 23, 2006
Ask Miss VJ
I've recieved a lot of responses to my first Ask Miss VJ, let me share, if only to illustrate how many engineers read my blog.


Dear Miss VJ,

You must live in a different world. Obviously NOT the world of engineers. You don't just *happen* to find yourself with a girlfriend. There has to be a defined boundry between friend and girlfriend and that transition usually only occurs AFTER an awkward question has been asked. You won't find a lot of engineers stopping traffic and kissing a guy in the middle of the road.
I submit that your advice is good and well as long as NEITHER of the two parties are engineers.

I should also note the phenomenon of the 'faker engineer.' These engineers and not true engineers. They dress nice, are always cleanly shaven, and suck as engineers. Yes, they are just stepping through on the way to management. They usually are the first to get married.

Sincerly,

Engineer Bob

___________________________________
Dear Miss VJ,
I would like to respond to Engineer Bob's comments.
Not all engineers fit in the box. I am an engineer and I don't fit in either one of those categories, yo. I don't suck as an engineer, nor do I have hygiene problems. I am however part of a band called Fakin' It so if that's what you mean by fakers, then... okay. I'm a faker.
But otherwise, I disagree. I mean... just last week I found myself all of a sudden accidentally having a girlfriend. It happens.
Engineer 'Rez
_____________________________
Dear Miss VJ,
I would sort of disagree with Engineer Bob. An engineer might need that sort of distinction between girlfriend*/not girlfriend*, but the criteria for going from one to the other can be adjusted for the other person. Namely, if the other person doesn't need to hear the awkward question to be asked, then the engineer doesn't have to ask the question. The engineer can just wait for a sign that the other person considers the engineer her* boyfriend*.
Same logic, different criteria for changing the mental flag attached to the friend/girlfriend* involved.*
All genders are switchable here, just assumed the engineer was male for the sake of not writing "him/her/them" everywhere.
Engineer Fred








Dear Engineers,
You love me.
Seriously.
So after thinking long and hard about this, and by that I mean actually putting pants on and wandering out onto my balcony, I've decided to clarify my earlier point.
*wanders behind ornately painted screen*
What I said earlier about not asking, *pants are flung over the screen* well, it's like this.
*walks back out, wearing fishnets again, and tying her robe closed*
There is one moment in which you can ask, if you can sense it at the time.
It's the moment where you already know, and are asking as a way of affirming what has already happened. Don't ask unless you already know. Like marriage proposals or whether you look fat.
See? While it's phrased like asking, it's not really asking.
Adorably,
Miss VJ
*shuffles into her maribou trimmed, high heeled slippers*
*picks up a REALLY trashy romance novel*
*flops down on a heart shaped bed*
Next question, please.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying that 'Rez is a typical engineer is like saying George Bush is a typical American. Perhaps I didn't make it clear, but I was only speaking to engineers in the United States. I don't know the culture elsewhere, but I do know it here. Blogs are interesting because you can never assume the nationality of your readers.

Post a Comment

<< Home