Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Valentines Day
For Valentines Day, Cupid gave me a cold.

Sniffles are very romantic.

But since I didn't want to get all my little kidlets sick, I didn't go to the church as I usually do on Tuesday nights. As I was leaving work I realized that all the tea had made me feel a little better and sitting at home on the couch surrounded by tissues all evening on Valentines Day was just a bit too lonely and cliche.

So I decided to take what I would have spent on a boyfriend if I had one, and spend it on ME. I considered a mani-pedi, but in typical VJ-style, I realized I wanted to go to the bookstore more. Besides, there prolly wouldn't be anyone to flirt with at a nail salon.

So I stopped off and bought myself some daises, and put one in my hair.
I let the teenager in the car next to me at a light flirt shamelessly with me for a little while before telling him I was way too old for him.
I traded jokes about mimes with the cute guy making my green tea latte at the coffee shop at Borders.
I winked over a row of world music cds at a short, dark and handsome man, while catching up on my resolution to listen to more music in other languages. Specifically, I listened to "Swing Around The World," "Untamed, Next Generation Celtic," and "Intergalactic Belly Dancers" which I almost bought purely for the name, but didn't because frankly, it was crap.
I bought myself some stamps of the Hebrew alphabet, some handmade paper notecards, a cd of Jonny Clegg and Savuka, which also fufills my resolution (*hums the lyric "wadlala umukwa wami engalindile kwakhikhiza abafazi" which the liner notes say translates to "My father-in-law performed an unexpected war dance"* Seriously.) and a copy of a play I did in high school, The Importance Of Being Earnest, which I particularly enjoyed. (I was a brilliant Cecily.)

And THEN I went home and crashed on the couch, surrounded by tissues, played with my new loot, and thought of some handsome stranger sharing the connection of being the next person to pick up that collection of real life unsolved mysteries and caughting my cold from it.

How romantic.


2 Comments:

Blogger Jm said...

Hope u enjoyed the books :)

I'm obviouskly completely gutted and ecstatic at the same time to say I'm already taken VJ....

;)

Hope u feel better soon :)

Blogger Michael said...

I am in love with Valancy Jane.

Post a Comment

<< Home