Wednesday, February 08, 2006
I Swear, I Was Just Trying To Be Nice.
Two cars getting totalled, that wasn't part of the plan at all.

Ok, so this morning I'm on my way to work, in the left of two northbound lanes of a surface street. The traffic in my lane is very backed up, because up ahead it becomes the turn lane to get on the freeway. There is a woman in a green SUV coming the opposite direction as me, who wants to turn left to get into the gas station. See diagram 1.

My lane is moving slowly at the moment, and since I know that once it stops, she'll never get through, I slow to a stop and wave at her, to let her know I see her and will wait for her. She looks hesitantly at me. I smile and nod.

She then immediatly, without looking, turns left across both lanes.

And gets broadsided by a landscaping crew pickup. See diagram 2.

Ok, so technically not my fault at all. But I feel horrid. Maybe she thought I was rushing her.

That landscaping truck was full of what appeared to be migrant workers. Migrant landscaping workers are often free-lance, and usually illegal immigrants. The odds that they have insurance, slim.
Both cars, prolly totalled.
They're having what I can only imagine is a very bad day.
Luckily no injuries, everyone promptly piled out of the car.

Please tell me I'm not a bad person.


7 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

I enjoy the rake.

You are not a bad person. She just wasn't paying attention. So not your fault.

Did I mention I like the rake? I do, I like the rake.

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

you were being nice.

as someone who has been accidented recently, i can say that it was not your fault.

Blogger Michael said...

It's totally your fault. Your smile and nod is hypnotic.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of these weird situations where fault is relative. If I were you, I'd say exactly what you said: she didn't look, so tough.

But if I were her, I'd blame you. You waved her into oncoming traffic.

Oh, were you just looking for affirmation?

You're totally right, it's completely her fault.

Don't worry, it doesn't make you any less of a wonderful, nice person we all know you to be.

Blogger beaky said...

You're not a bad person.

She should have been looking properly, it's not your fault.

Blogger Morgan said...

you're NOT a bad person. but where I am from, this would have legally been your fault which is why it is it illegal to wave someone in. people don't look. they trust the waver. it's OK to stop and make room for someone. but never make a motion that the coast is clear. let the other driver make that determination.

you are not a bad person. you are a kind person.

Blogger Karen said...

like everyone says here, you're not bad, not even close, and it wasn't your fault, you were even being nice.

and oh i giggled reading how you describe gwen that day. i just think its funny.

Post a Comment

<< Home