Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Happiness is ......
.........A coworker who is also a friend.
Shiny, Happy Faces

Our boss's birthday party

The first time I met Coworker, She of the Lovely Curls, I was coming in to interview for her job as the receptionist. (She was moving up to order processing.) I remember thinking that she was so polished and charming that I'd have big shoes to fill, and I was nervous.

When I got the news that I'd gotten the job, I was still nervous. I bemoaned to JR, "It'll be good for me after that job in the warehouse where no one cared what I looked like, but Honey, she looks like she's never spilled coffee in her life!"

Then, on my first day, despite leaving very early, I was running late, due to some really bad traffic. This was NOT how I wanted to start my first day. I was three minutes late.
But when I got to the lobby, it was empty. I stood there maybe thirty seconds before she came around the corner, apologizing and assuming I'd been there for a while (i.e. that I'd been on time) and saying, "I'm so sorry, I ran the restroom, to wash out where I spilled a little coffee on my self."

I almost hugged her right then, for putting me so perfectly at ease without even knowing.

And as I've gotten to know her, I've learned that she's as sweet as she looks.
Despite knowing exactly how easy my job can be, she always insists on covering my desk so I can get a break.
She's my gossip and giggle buddy.
My red wine sipping buddy at company events.
My lipstick check and hair-tie loaner when I have a date after work.

But if she weren't as sweet as she is, frankly, I think I'd hate her for being so much prettier than me, and with her cute Ecudorian accent, having a nicer voice then me.

Don't lie. You're jealous. You want a work buddy like her too.
Maybe if you're lucky, her twin* will come work at your office.

*yes, she has one.


3 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

Dawww!

Send her twin to Canada. Then we can both have one. Plus, we both know she'd instantly loke* me.




*loke is to like, and almost love, kinda, instantly, as much as you possibly can in seven seconds.

Blogger Unknown said...

Why does your friend have one green eye and one brown one ?

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

Weird flash? Both her eyes are brown.

Post a Comment

<< Home