Tuesday, January 03, 2006
Catch A Falling Star(fish)
David and I rung out the old year in a beautiful style, by exploring the tidepools down at Ocean Beach. He has the best ideas sometimes, I swear.

Ocean Beach is a very interesting neighborhood, for you non-locals. It's the last beach community that still has apartments, that haven't been knocked down for huge ugly rich people houses. You're likely to see dreads, tie-dye sarongs, odd piercings and drum circles. I can't begin to tell you how much I love it. I'm happiest when I'm surrounded by people more liberal than myself. I'm actually considering moving there for a year.
We browsed a few shops, looking at tapestries and star-shaped paper lanterns.

We walked down the long pier and I watched seagulls and people, while David pondered the making of the pier.
Then we explored the tidepools, finding that the longer you looked, the more tiny creatures you could find. David is thinking of putting together a saltwater tank that's based on a tidepool. We saw tiny crabs, shrimp, little fish, mulloskes and barnecles, plants and stuff we weren't sure whether it was animal, vegetable or mineral. Each tidepool reminded me of a tiny aquatic dollhouse.
Another couple was looking around, and they were taking pictures. I called them over when I found a starfish, and he fished it out and asked if I wanted to hold it.
It was exciting more in idea than in reality, as the poor thing was literally scared stiff, so after about ten seconds I gently returned him to his tidepool.
I miss him.

It seemed so odd to me that 'Rezzie wasn't there, that I carved her name on the sandstone cliff at low tide.

After a lovely couple of hours, I fell on my butt. Slippery rocks, me with vertigo and tractionless shoes? It was bound to happen. I made it through a late dinner at a Texas steakhouse diner (where our table had a private oldies jukebox) then home to comfy chairs and painkillers and a phone call from Ikey and a quiet new year slipped in.


2 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

Ahhhh. What a lovely way to begin a year.

And you know... I was there in spirit, Veaj.

Blogger Michael said...

You were my first phone call of 2006 baby!

Post a Comment

<< Home