Sunday, December 25, 2005
I Always Thought Of It As The Three Days Of Christmas
First, my birthday.
I wandered down to the 7-11 in my white flannel pjs, the ones with red lips all over them. And my flipflops shaped like two watermelon halves.
Got some coffee.
It was nice.

Then I went over to Bunny's. My birthday is also her second oldest kid's birthday, but as I hadn't broken my arm badly the night before and spent all night having six different doctors move it around trying to set it, I think I enjoyed the day FAR MORE than he did.
Poor Trev.
I told him that since he was 15 now, he was old enough to be able to say, "FUCK" and that it would prolly make him feel better. He nodded knowingly and said, "I did. Loud enough to make even YOU proud."
He was right. I WAS proud.

Bunny served one of her world famous meals, and then we exchanged gifts. ZezZee loved the pepper spray and asked for a switchblade next year. Bunny gave me the portable easel I'd been drooling over for years, the one I could never quite justify paying so much for. It folds up to full size and folds down to being carried over your shoulder like a backpack. New paints, canvas, brushes.
I'm a happy VJ.

ZezZee, Bunny's oldest, and I spent the majority of the day making teddy bears and watching The Reduced Shakespeare Company movie, where they perform the COMPLETE works of William Shakespeare in an hour and a half. It's priceless and you all should watch it.

After dinner, with a happy full tummy, I met David at the fish store, and he bought me a WONDERFUL new habitat for my hermit crabs, and helped me set it up when we got home. My crabs have such nice digs now, I'm jealous. You would be too if you saw it.

Then David and I dropped by Lou's house, and got to see Brent, BONUS!, and I gave her one of the newly completed teddy bears.
She gave me a mini fridge (complete with light inside) with magnetic poetry words, just like my fridge, and a pirate rubber ducky. You would be terrified if I told you exactly how many hours of entertainment I've already gotten from them.
I love Lou.
Wouldn't you?

Then we headed off to Coco's with a matching teddy bear for her, where she stocked me up with GREAT tea, and the longest, featheriest, most insanely decadant earrings ever. They are now tied with the ones Cols made, as my favorite earrings.
I love Coco.
Wouldn't you?

A cup of tea and some kisses from David later, I read myself to sleep with "Never Hit A Jellyfish With A Spade," a book Dufel gave me for my birthday.
A good book, courtesy of a GREAT friend.
A cup of tea.
A quiet late night.
Merry, merry this.

Christmas Eve morning, I woke up a bit stressed. I was behind on the miles long list of things I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO do before Christmas.
But after a round of delivering meals with David, for Meals on Wheels, I had a little perspective, and lot of hugs and a that wonderful rush that comes from realizing how great I was gonna sound when I blogged about this, which I really only did because I love senior citizens and wanted some grandma type attention.
It was really just for me.

After that, David actually joined me on one of the strangest little traditions I do.
I buy presents for all my pets.
To put in their stockings.
He only laughed at me a little.
Which makes him the loveliest man I've ever known.

A late lunch of very spicy chicken wings, and then I headed back to attempt to put my messy apartment in some semblance of order. Later, David ran to pick up all the things I'd forgotten to get from the grocery store for me, and we had a great little evening in, waiting up for Midnight Mass.
Which was as beatiful as every year I've gone alone, and as beautiful as having someone that means the world to you next to you, both at once.

Christmas morning, my beloved brother came over for french toast and tea and hugs. What do girls without a big brother DO?

Then David took me up to meet part of his family in north county, and then another part in the south county. Admittedly, after the first huge get-together I was a little tired. It's exhausting to be around a dozen aunts who David admitted were going to call David's mother after I left, and talk about me.
I AM lovely, but generally in an aqquired taste sort of way.
So when we got to his uncle's house, it was actually kind of nice that we were late and that the only seats available where the two in the breakfast nook in the kitchen, so David and I got to eat someone else's food, drink their wine and admire their view of the sunset, all while enjoying candlelight, music and a moment of peace and quiet.

We made a stop at David's friend Stu's house, and toasted ourselves around a bonfire and looked at stars and played with his dog, and talked music with his girlfriend's daughters.

And now I'm at Davids.
We're gonna go to my place, light candles and drink tea.

I could not ask for more.

Merry this.


2 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

Girls without a big brother are thankful their little brothers are bigger than them. : )

Merry that!

Blogger Michael said...

That sounds wonderful! I'm glad you had a great time! Watch the vlog about the birthday party I was a part of, and pretend like you were there with me.

I got you fishy socks, and windchimes that aren't annoying.

Post a Comment

<< Home