Monday, November 21, 2005
I Have A Theory.
It might be good. It might be total bullshit.

I'll tell you when I'm 80 and I've lived a bit.

But anyway, my theory. You know people that describe themselves as hopeless romantics? You notice they're usually the same people that say things like, "I've had my heart broken so many times" or "I'm just looking for that one perfect person, even if it takes forever."

I wonder sometimes. See, I'm not in the middle of anyone's relationship, so I can't really know, and I'm definatly generalizing. But if you really think there is a perfect person out there for you, what happens when the relationship hits an inevitable snag? "It wasn't meant to be"? "He/she just wasn't the right one?"?

I think the concept of 'soulmates' is not only sappy, I think it's somewhat detrimental to the mindset of building a lasting relationship.

Lest I sound unromantic, I'm not saying relationships are all hard work, and I DO think there is a lid for every pot, in a general sense. In fact, there are prolly several lids to every pot.

My Gramie Dude, who's been married a couple of times, was once talking to me about Patrick, her husband of 15 years. She said it wasn't always easy being married to him, or to anyone for that matter. But that he "is SO worth it."

And I think that's the key. I don't think there is any 'other half of my soul' wandering around out there. I think there ARE some really lovely people. I don't think a person exists or ever has existed, that wouldn't misunderstand me sometimes, bug me sometimes, or even make me cry on rare occasion, if we were together. But I do think it's entirely possible to find somebody that is SO WORTH IT.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home