Monday, November 28, 2005
Happiness is .........
............ a step grandparent so lovely you can't remember a time before them.

When my Gramie Dude and Grandpa Patrick were here, he said something to me, a lovely compliment that I've been mulling over ever since.

He said I was the prettiest of his granddaughters. And yes, he has several. All of the others are actually his, and not step-granddaughters like me. So it was a doubly lovely thing to say.

I love him so, and he took the first picture of me that I ever really liked.

When I lived with them in Alburquerque, I learned a dozen utterly lovable things about him.

He gets up every morning, right at 5AM, grinds his coffee beans, makes himself a fresh cup, sips it, then goes right back to bed until some respectable hour.

He has about a million and a half vintage cameras, of EVERY variety, but takes all his pictures with a pinhole camera.

I would sneak him ice cream and he would sneak me liquor.

He rides his Harley out to his cabin, which he named Grimthistle.

He could happily spend the rest of eternity taking apart each of his cameras, one by one, holding each part in turn, and eventually reassembling the camera.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home