Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Thoughts On My Commute
The most dangerous part of my commute is probably pulling out of my apartment complex's gated parking lot. It's a blind turn onto a back alley of a iffy neighborhood. Once I've gotten away from the corner where I live (which houses a 'smoke shop', an adult video rental and a combination liquor and gun shop that attempts to fool you into thinking it's two separate establishments by calling itself "Nick's Liquor and Hiram's Guns"), I figure the most dangerous part of my day is done.

And as much as I hate spending two hours in commute time everyday, it IS two hours a day that I don't have to justify my music choices to anyone. (Or how many times I hit repeat when my favorite song plays) Today it was trippy-happy trance music. Yesterday it was christmas carols. Friday it was Martina McBride's greatest hits, with lots of repeats on Independance Day and Happy Girl.


2 Comments:

Blogger michael.dufel said...

Remember everyone, NEVER park on the street. Your windows are liable to be shot out in a drive-by. In fact, if you want to move into the same complex, be SURE to get an interior apartment so that any stray bullets will be burried BEFORE they get to you.

Some other precautions:
- Vary eating establishments
- Alternate shopping locations
- Do not establish any sort of pattern
- avoid crowded areas
- Know emergency phone numbers for police, ambulance and hospitals
- Leave lights on when leaving your apartment
- pull your curtains
- Alternate parking spaces
- Lock car when unattended
- Watch mopeds/cycles
- Drive with windows up and doors locked
- if possible, alter routes and avoid choke points
- look for tampering. Look under your auto. Be alert when opening the door.

Blogger Carolyn said...

You have great taste in music, I can't believe you would EVER have to justify it...
*pops in Martina's greatest hits at the reminder*

Post a Comment

<< Home