Tuesday, August 30, 2005
VJ and Lou Do the Zoo (say it aloud, its fun)
Sunday after church (and a jamba juice stop and Lou's memorable line, "Gosh, if I see one more person I know here at this mall, I'll swear.........") we headed off into the El-Cajon-in-August/sweating-in-places-you-didn't-know-you-had-like-the-back-of-your-earlopes-and-your-kneecaps sort of heat, to the World Famous San Diego Zoo.

See, the zoo is so frickin' big, and the price high enough that you feel obligated to get your money's worth and see every animal on display. This will kill you.
Thankfully we were on free passes from Lou's lovely grandparents, so the pressure was off. We boarded the tour bus, which gives you a brief glimpse at about 70% of the animals. While on the bus, I got a new nickname, from the bus driver/tour guide.

"Will *pointed look at me* EVERYONE please quiet down so everyone can hear?" he said.

"By 'EVERYONE', he means me, doesn't he?" I asked Lou.

"Yes," said Lou and the woman in front of us who up until now had been speaking only spanish to the woman with her.

After the bus tour, we figured out what else we most wanted to see. I bought a small plastic snake in the gift shop and draped it around my neck in such a way that it moved a bit when I spoke or moved. Then we went into the Reptile House and watched people FREAK OUT, thinking it was real.
That's FUN.

Then of course the petting zoo. You can't imagine I'd go to the zoo without petting something, do you? Of course not. Even if there was no petting zoo I'd find some way to pet an animal.

*imagines showing someone a picture, "This is me riding a camel at the zoo" and them saying, "They have camel rides at the zoo now?" and saying "No. This picture was taken by a security camera."*

*giggles giddily at thought*

As we left the zoo, there was a little booth by the gate, with a older man guarding an ink stamp on a chain. "Self-Service Return Stamp" the sign read.

The man explained that due to insurance reasons and a complaint, zoo employees could no longer stamp the back of your hand, for fear of hurting you. He just had to guard the stamp and make sure no one stole it.
He told me to go ahead and stamp myself.

"Anywhere?" I asked.

He looked confused, I guess he'd never really thought about that before.

"I guess," he finally answered.

"More than once?" I asked.

He grinned. "Go nuts."

Eight stamps later (including one each on mine and Lou's faces), we headed out. We stopped by her grandparents' house in Pt. Loma and were invited back for dinner. In the meantime we wandered down to OB where no one guestioned the stamps on our faces or the snake still around my neck, where we saw a drum circle and the ocean and bought fun jewelry and a bumper sticker that reads "Love > Fear".
Then back to Lou's lovely grandparents for "eat more, eat more!" dinner.


2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

*holds stomach and groans* I'm never eating again.... *sees strawberries* kay, scratch that.

Blogger SLIBW said...

Don't worry... I used to be that tour guide, and a lot of people are "EVERYONE"...

Post a Comment

<< Home