Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Emotional
So I was weirdly emotional yesterday, for a number of reasons. Not the least of which I will shed some light on by plugging this WONDERFUL product. Ladies, really. FAB - BU - LOUS.

Anyhoooo, yesterday morning I was delivering the mail around the building and after dropping the CEO's mail on his desk, I looked up and was greeting by a catastrophe in his fish tank. Lots of dead fish, lovely sight to start the morning. Poor widdle fish.

Then I helped this woman find a vet that will make house calls to put down her very old dog. That was emotional.

That afternoon at lunch I finished a book about a woman who was murdered by her abusive husband, after which, he got custody of their kids.

By the time I got to this site, I was ready for a good cry, and believe me, I CRIED. Not like 'teared up' cried, like 'full on, blew my nose, had to explain myself to my coworkers' cried.

Of course all the emotion wasn't just PMS-fueled. Over-full shelters are a sign of mankind's often broken pact with domesticated animals. When people began to breed out of wild animals their traits of independence and survival skills, we effectivally made a pact with them, that they would trade their liberty for security. That they would learn to live with us, and we would protect them from harm. Sadly, many people don't live up to their end of the bargin.

One comman misconception/convienent excuse people use to dodge their responsibility is assuming that a housecat can fend for itself if left behind or dumped in a back alley. The average life span of a feral cat is 2-3 years, and that's a cat that grew up in that enviroment, not your little house kitty thats never had to eat something that didn't come in a can. Same for dogs. Abandonment usually equals a slow and painful starvation, or being attacked by other animals. Even being picked up by Animal Control and being put down better than this.

And the amount of animals laugishing in shelters and private foster groups, while people buy from pet stores and backyard breeders is shameful. Want a specific breed, age or color? Fine, I guarantee you a shelter near you has it. What's your excuse?

*steps off soapbox, goes and plays Tampon Bowling to wind down*


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home