Thursday, May 12, 2005
Spinning in the Lobby today is - Enya
See, the thing about Enya is that to properly appreciate her music, you have to blast it far more loudly than the average Enya fan is prone to playing music.

Try it sometime. Blast it as loud as possible. I DARE YOU to resist the urge to dance about and hum.

I fell in love with her music back in my dancing days. My ballet teacher was a modern dancer at heart, and many of our routines had modern music or a modern twist to the dance, so we used a lot of Enya. The song "Orinoco Flow" will always mean spinning madly across the room, or thinking that one of these days, my grand jete would take me up and I wouldn't ever come down. "Watermark", its slow strains will always mean the pain of tortureously slow barre work. See, doing something like a kick slowly is far more work than doing it quickly. In the case of a kick, half of the work getting you leg up to your forehead is sheer momentum, and gravity does the work on the way down so it's nothing more than a controlled fall. But try doing it slowly. Try kicking your leg up as high as you can, and just holding it there. Ouch. Hold it there, with turnout, as the ligaments in your hip realign and slide over each other. Ouch. But really, I miss being that strong.
The song "Storms in Africa" will always be my favorite. In fact it's one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. I can't resist dancing to it, ever, and it reminds me that dance is never just a thing to be learned. It's for everyone, to spill out what's in their soul. And even though I busted up my knees and know I'd never be able to dance for people that way again, I CAN ALWAYS DANCE FOR ME.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home