Tuesday, May 31, 2005
I'm not entirely sure what the point of this post is.
Today I read this post on Zoe's blog. And the facts on it are HORRIFYING. People are suffering unimaginable conditions. And I felt compelled to help, naturally.

Then later today, my petfinder link showed a link to Grace, a cat that had been thrown from a moving car window and survived, minus an ear and an eye and mobility in one hip.

And for some reason, I cried when I read about the cat. And I thought about it, and wondered what was wrong with me, that I could read about two tradgedies, one far worse than the other, and emotionally respond more to the smaller one. But I think that just shows that there is a difference between what I can take in, in terms of facts, and what I can take in emotionally. I could read and understand both, but Zoe's post was more than I could take in in one sitting without breaking down. It will probably take me days, even weeks before I can process it and find my place in relation to those facts. And the cat, that was simple. I could take that in, feel it, figure what, if anything, I could do, and move on.
Maybe I would be more useful and a better person if I didn't have to hold this arm's length at first and let it trickle in. Many people don't have that luxury. The people living there are beat in the face with these facts the minute they awake every morning. I'd had a cup of coffee before I even had to read about something bad.
This week I've been confronted by a lot of stories of hurt. A lot of people are asking for my help. And frankly, yes, what's brought this on is simply that I'm overwhelmed.
I'm sitting here feeling overwhelmed, and feeling guilty for indulging in the luxury of being overwhelmed.

For once, I'm not really trying to say anything here, I'm using my little corner of the internet to think out loud.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home