Friday, April 08, 2005
Letter to Becky
Few things startle me more than clicking over to a blog and reading words like, "I'm starting over.......... with thanks to Valancy Jane, I've decided to change my life ............ her advice is good." It's like sitting down on a quiet evening to watch tv and seeing yourself win a golden globe. First you think, "I totally deserved to win." Second you think, "I didn't even know I was nominated."

Becky, you say "Where do I start?" A few things you should know.

Like everything in life, you get out of it what you put in. Invest in you own life. No one can live it for you. Surprise people, and they WILL surprise you.

Randomness and adventures come from paying attention to opportunities. See the quiet people no one notices. Pick up shiny things that you see on the sidewalk. Absolutely do things you are afraid to do. Don't wait for life to come to you, go out and meet it. Eat alone in resturants. Go to a park and feed ducks or pigeons. Find a kid and give him half and watch him feed the ducks or pigeons. Smile at old ladies. Listen to the conversation of the people eating at the table next to you in restuarants. Respond to them if you like. Take road trips. Take a blind man by the arm and while you are helping him cross a street, ask him how he navigates the city. It's not about not being lazy, (although turning off the tv is ALWAYS a good idea), it's about paying attention.

As for writing an interesting blog, don't approach it like a news editor. Approach it like a photographer. It's as much how you angle it, what you crop out, what you focus on, as it is what the picture is of. A perfect example of this - Lou was having work done on her back patio. That's the news bulletin. How did she blog about it? "When I came home from school there were a lot of shirtless men in my backyard. To be continued..........."

You excuses confuse me, really. You're telling me you that you're 17, blond, beautiful, live away from home and take public transit and you don't find adventure? Baby, there is no better recipe for adventure. Open your eyes. (And yes, I have JR and I'm very lucky. You'll find yours someday.)

There are risks to adventure, so stack the odds in your favor. Carry your passpourt and a clean pair of socks in your purse. Learn to throw a punch. Learn to bluff. Learn to smile sincerely. Always, ALWAYS trust your instincts. That way, when your feet are wet and you're standing stranded in a gas station in the middle of Wisconsin in a bunny costume, you'll have the confidence that you can handle the situation.

Need I say, Be Impulsive? I think you know that.

Learn to laugh when everything goes wrong. Because that makes the best story.

And when everything goes right, live in that moment. Breathe it in.

Finally, people are your biggest variable in life. Friendship is always the best adventure. When you go through your day, really SEE the people you pass. And someday, you find yourself on a street corner, and you will look over you shoulder and see a man that smells of pee. He will wink at you and recite poetry. And the your blog post will begin, "............ (That's for you to decide.)


3 Comments:

Blogger beaky said...

Thanks, VJ. I'm going to become the most interesting, adventurous and thoughtful person that there ever was... after you of course! haha

Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

Great advice....for anyone. You should be a therapist!

Blogger Minoa said...

if you were my therapist VJ, I would pay you with tea and glitter pens. And baked goods.

Post a Comment

<< Home