Friday, April 22, 2005
Friendship Without Words
Have you ever been friends with someone who's language you don't speak?

I was thinking about that today. After monthes of trying to make the cleaning lady laugh, last week I finally accomplished it. I'd tried everything I could think of, even tying off the bags of shredding into animal ears and drawing faces on the bags. She just looked at me like I was crazy.
Last week I almost dropped an envelope, and so I did some silly bit like the envelope was attacking me. And she LAUGHED! I was so proud!
Now it seems like she understands that I'm trying to be funny, and she laughs at my goofiness all the time.
That makes me happy.
And it makes me think of Ray.
Ray is a guy that used to come to my church. He's deaf, and has some mental disabilities also. But he had a genuis for silent friendship. You could just touch his arm and point to something funny, or pretty or unsusual, and somehow he would know what you saw in it.
The only sign language I knew when I met him was the sign for 'I love you'. I started learning more, but eventually, I stopped because somehow it just didn't seem we needed any more than that.


3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Bradshaw said...

I like many different types of fish.

Blogger Jm said...

I have that kind of friendship with one of my friends in church also, Richard. (I've talked about him before on my blog)

He's 19 but has the mental capacity of a 10yr old and sever learning diffuculties...

But we have a great laugh and giggle!!

:-)

Blogger mysfit said...

that's lovely - i remember when i was really young and my family went on a trip to Europe I met a boy in the hostle we were staying in - instant friends, regardless of language...

i don't know why you made me think of that, i guess since we rely so much on language, lacking the need for it reminds me of childhood and love and spring...

by the way (about another post) you can name my fish - when i get it...

Post a Comment

<< Home