Thursday, March 24, 2005
Turns out I have a bad case of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
"I can't come in. I have The Birds. It's all over my face."

Kidding.

I have Vertigo. A viral infection in my left ear. Last night I was tidying up around my apartment and started getting sooooooooooooo dizzy that when I tried to walk, I would veer off into walls. I sat down and felt a smidge better, but thats when the shaking started. I was shaking like a leaf, so I called my healthcare provider's nurse line and she told me if my doctor's office was closed to just go into the ER. So JR drives me there (after packing me an overnight bag, complete with my perfume and my stuffed dog and mouse. I love that man.) and the nurse who checked me in brought me my ID bracelet thingy and then he looked at me and said, "Do you want some stickers?" I said, "Yes, always. Could you tell just by looking at me? You must have some really comprehensive medical records on me to know that." So my bracelet is now adorned with a yellow flower and pink smily face. Bless his little soul.
So I sat in my new little room in a paper gown that wafted open in the back at the slightest breeze, and watched tv with JR while the nurse and doctors came and went Finally got to see most of that Alicia Silverstone movie where she kidnaps herself.
And I got to play my new favorite hospital game, Attempt To Convince Doctor that Pregnancy Test is a Waste of Hospital Resources and Both of Our Time. Lost, as usual.
Then the doctor does a lot of magic trick like things, "follow this pen light with your eyes, then fall back on the bed and put your hands up like Frankenstein", probably just to amuse himself, and tells me I have vertigo.
So I'm not allowed to go back to work until Monday. And I may not fully recover for up to three weeks he says. And I can't drive my car until I'm fully healed.
So I'm home, with lots of legal drugs. If only the room would stop spinning this might be fun.
But the prescriptions are funny. I have to take with food an antibiotic with a side effect of more dizzyness. I have an anti-dizzyness medicationwith a side effect of lack of appetite. So I'm stuck in a cycle here.
But all in all, this has taught me that I love, LOVE my healthcare provider, PacificCare, and my doctor, Dr. Acouna-Young and my local Sharp Hospital. They werent' just good at their jobs, they were all kind and concerned. I mean, they came me stickers AND a drug with the possible side effect of hallucinations. What more could I want?


2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

awww! I hope you feel better soon!!!

Blogger SG said...

Awww, honey, I'm sorry to hear you're under the weather. Make yourself 3 cups of tea and get plenty of rest!

Post a Comment

<< Home