Wednesday, March 16, 2005
I wanted to adopt her.
So the other day I was driving to church and as I drove down a small sidestreet, I came up on a group of young kids standing by the side of the road. They looked happy to be outside and luxuriating in the fact that they were UNSUPERVISED. Do you remember that heady feeling? The feeling that you were finally your own separate person, free to do and be and say what you pleased? So the youngest girl, maybe nine years old, eager to prove herself to the group, was standing by the side of the road waiting for a car to pass, which happened to be mine. She brazenly flipped me off. Both hands.
I grinned so big I almost split my face.
It wasn't just that she looked so much like me at that age, and I really should have been shocked by the gesture. But she was just so ALIVE and defiant and "Watch out world, I'm going to grow up!" that I just adored her. I wanted to jump out of the car and join her in saying "World, this is me. Like it!", but I'm an adult and my presence would have tainted the moment, I'm sure.
But she did grin back at me.
She knew I understood.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home