Thursday, February 24, 2005
Clarence the Bee.
Last friday as I was leaving work, I saw on my cars driver's side window, a bee. He seemed old, lethargic and his buzz was idling very low. I had read somewhere that when a bee acts like that, it's because he's old and dying. I didn't want to bat him off or anything, because I didn't want to get stung.
I've been rather wary of bees ever since I was 8 and was stung by one, on the hand. I was wearing my favorite dress at the time (light blue, with a circle skirt that fanned out when I twirled) and when my hand swelled up, I couldn't pull the sleeve of the dress over my hand. My mother threatened to cut the dress off. I threatened to spread a rumor she drank whiskey on her breakfast cereal if she even looked at me with the scissors. I think I wore that dress for three days straight before I could get it off over my hand.
So I felt sorry for this little bee on my window, being disturbed while old and dying. I gently opened my door and slid in, thinking he would fly away when the door closed. But he hung on.
He continued to hang on as I started the engine, and backed out of my parking spot.
Three blocks later, he was still hanging on. He looked like a surfer, gripping with his little bee feet.
At this point I told him that we would be getting on the freeway soon, and that would be no place to fall off. I told him he should just find a nice spot and fly off. Just as I was about to pull over and try to help him off and put him in a bush or something, he flew off and over the car in the direction of the golf course I was passing.
All those trees and lawns, it would be a nice place to die if you were a bee.
And sometimes that's all you can ask for.


2 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

Poor little bee.

*muffles laughter*

But there are indeedy worse ways to go.

I love that even at a young age you were willing to let your life be ruled by fashion. Sigh. Says a lot about a girl.

Blogger Krystle said...

I liked that story VJ. Sounds like something I would think and do... :)

Post a Comment

<< Home