Friday, February 11, 2005
Books in/around/under my bed.
Therese once listed all the books she was reading, and where in her house each book lived. I could be here for three days if I did that, so lets just start with my bed.

In the basket next to my bed, which also contains slippers, a flashlight and some cough drops -

Sin Killer by Larry McMurtry. My Gramie loaned this and the two sequels to me, with high recommendation. It's about an English family traveling west through the American wilderness in the 1800's.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I decided that it was simply shameful that I had managed to go 24 years without reading it, and that I simply must before anyone found out that I'd never read it. (Of course if anyone asked, I responded with my usual line, delivered in a haughty tone, "Not in english.")

Next to the Basket by my bed -

Cat Facts by Marcus Schneck & Jill Caravan. This was a gift from my dear Mother Hen Apartment Manager. From it I discovered (both my cats are obviously part some long haired breed) that Maximus is part Mainecoon and that Dulce is part Turkish Angora. Which might seem like useless information, but it does explain why Max is so keen to go outside (Mainecoons were bred as farm cats) and why Dulce is always attempting to poach table scraps (Turkish Angoras need more meat in their diet than other breeds).

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oats. This book was in a box of free stuff someone left in the laundry room at our apartment. I decided to forgive the "Oprah's Book Club" logo on the cover and read it anyway. Haven't started it yet.

Under my bed -

All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum. Re-reading an old favorite, I pull it out when I want the comforting companionship of a well-thumbed friend. It's a must read.

Under my left pillow by Leon the heating pad -

When You Look Like Your passport Photo, It's Time To Go Home by Erma Bombeck. Terribly funny collection of stories from all her years of travel. It's for when I want to laugh myself to sleep.

Under my right pillow -

Catwatching by Desmond Morris. This was a loan from the ever interesting Glen Holt. (Hi Glen!) Written by an animal behaviorist, he manages to walk that thin line between cat enthusiast and scientist. And now I know why my cat always cleans himself after I pet him.

The Anthropologie Spring 2005 catalog. Their clothing line sucks this season. But I forgive them utterly, because they came out with this.

Consumer Electronics Lifestyles Magazine. Full of a lot of pretty products that I make JR explain to me.


1 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

Ha ha ha ha ha, I am so using that next time someone asks me that question.

Visitor, pointing to a book somewhere arbitrarilly located on the back of the couch in the living room - Have you read any of those?

Me, haughtilly - Not in English.


Incidentally, I like how the new way to comment asks you to choose an identity. For some reason that strikes me as funny. Ha ha, ha.

Post a Comment

<< Home