Friday, January 28, 2005
Let me explain how the other half lives.
JR and I were talking about my tax paperwork, and he asked if I had by any chance saved my pay stubs over the last year. I replied that I had, and he said oh so sweetly naive, "Where are they filed?"
Oh dear.
Filed????
There is a big middle ground between didn't-throw-it-away and filed-neatly-in-chronological-order.
I am mayor of that middle ground.
"Let's see. Jan-March are probably in a shoe box in the pulpit desk, mixed with flyers for museum openings and restaurant coupons. April-the middle of June is in an old purse than I used during that time. It's in the back of my closet in a box labeled 'winter sweaters'. The second half of June is a bookmark for "The Beautiful and Damned" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Third shelf, on the left. July and August are in the silver tin on my dressing table. Sept-Nov are in that letter organizer that I intend to keep stamps in if I ever get around to buying stamps and stop stealing them from you. December is in that box by the door where I drop all the mail when I come home. Jan is in my purse still."


1 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

Wow, oh wow. I am so impressed with you, VJ. Seriously impressed, that you remember where everything is. That may be one step down from filing but it isn't too far off, my friend.

My answer would have been something along the lines of...

"Hm. [scratches neck, frowns in concentration] The ones for this month, in my agenda. The ones for last month could be in a cluster in the kitchen in my little organizer for envelopes that isn't working too well. The rest... Well, I'm reasonably sure that I didn't throw any out, so they'll be miscellaneously scattered in the following locations: The junk drawer that contains everything from mints to old power bills to tea bags in baggies to restaurant coupons to marbles to a couple of love letters from old boyfriends to grad pictures from high school to an old agenda to empty bags to receipts to leftover knicknacks from my last job would be a good place to start. The bottom of any of my clothes drawers. Stuck between books stacked on the windowsills, counters, back of the couch, bathroom, floor under the couch, floor under the bed, bedside table, closet or bookshelf is another good place to check. Or, in the 'file at some point' drawer I have in my desk at work. Other than that, they might have found their way to my parents' house somehow. [smiles]"

Post a Comment

<< Home