Monday, January 17, 2005
Lake, picnic tables, men with guns, hot dogs, wait, WHAT?
So my ole' buddy Rick and I were having a picnic lunch over by Lindo Lake last spring. It was a beautiful spring day, warm, lazy. We fed the ducks and nibbled on hot dogs and laughed about the old days back in high school and then lazed out on the grass. Thats when I noticed how strangly quiet the park was. As soon as I commented on that, we noticed the hum of a low flying helicopter. Then the hum of another helicopter. Then another. Rick mentioned that for such a lovely day, there was no one in sight at the park. I looked around and said, "Well, there's that guy over there. The one in all black. His hat looks funny, he must be sweating like crazy in that thing. Is that a fishing pole he's.................. um, Rick?"
"Yeah, [Valancy Jane]?"
"Is it my admittedly active imagination, or is that a member of the SWAT Team?"
"Hmmmm. Yeah, that would be a member of the SWAT Team."
"Should we be here right now?"
"Lets ask the other SWAT guy that just came from behind that tree."
Turns out some crazy was holding up the Post Office (across the street from the park) with machine guns and explosives. The SWAT Team missed us in their sweep of the park an hour before. So we were having a picnic maybe fifty yards from a hostage situation. We were strongly encouraged at gunpoint to leave.


1 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Wow! That is soooo cool. I want that to happen to me!

Right then, I'm off to the park for lunch

*puts on warm jumper, heavy-duty rain coat and waterproof trousers*

I love English weather...

Post a Comment

<< Home