Friday, January 14, 2005
A dagger for the child within
When I was about seven, I went to the Del Mar Fair and in the Asian Treasures tent there was a man selling, amoung other things, small daggers. I wanted one so badly but had spent most of my money on the elephant, camel and pony rides, and the shiny rocks in the Gem and Mineral tent. So all that following year I saved part of my allowance in a glass jar labeled 'Dagger Money'. You think that would have worried my parents, but they weren't that concerned with what I did, and this was a few years before that unfortunate incident where I grazed my mother's leg with an arrow and my parents decided I couldn't have weapons until I had my drivers liesense or something like that.
So I'm eight now, and back at the fair. But the man selling daggers is not! Nowhere to be found. It took two camel rides and a orange julious to calm me down. Now how was I supposed to play 'shipwrecked duchess' or 'gypsy warrior'? I mourned this loss for years, or at least until my mother gave me the ill-fated archery set.
Recently I was in a knicknack shop and saw a similiar dagger with a ship carved onto it's faux ivory handle and a mermaid design on the sheath. Of course I bought it. And when I see it, I'm tempted to go climb a tree and pretend its the rigging of a ship and that the Spanish Armada was about to attack.


1 Comments:

Blogger MooCow said...

and my parents decided I couldn't have weapons until I had my drivers liesense or something like that.

- Best line ever.

Post a Comment

<< Home