Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Baring my ignorance.
This sounds silly, but maybe you could help me with something. This morning I found ice on my car windows. This happens maybe once a year here and everyone in the parking lot was frantically trying to rub it off with old Burger King napkins stashed in the glove compartment and complaining that they are going to be late to work. Now logic tells me that this must happen regularly to people in colder climates and that there must be a better way to deal with it. During my five months in Minnesota, (may thru sept.) I heard people mention a thing called an 'ice scraper'. Is this used for getting ice off cars? Could someone who knows please stop laughing at me long enough to clue me in?


4 Comments:

Blogger Minoa said...

ice scrapers exist in many sizes, shapes and colors. most students use their id card to scrape ice off of their car.
i have gone thru several, yes, they do break from the vigour.
i originally come from Chicago, and even learned to drive in the ice and snow.
http://savesave.securesites.net/icescrapers.htm
my favorite is a super long red one. since i am short and have a tall van, it's hard to get all of the spots.
typically, what needs to be done on cold mornings is warm up your car 10-20 minutes prior to leaving for work. hopefully by this time the ice has started to melt, thus making it easier to scrape off of both the front and back windows.

Blogger Name said...

I was hoping to find 'Pepe's Café' (the oldest in Old Key West) shop online to direct you there, but to no avail...in the restaurant itself, they sell a novel ice-scraper as one of their sovieners...it has the charm of a greeting that reads, "Wish you were here!" ;)

There are many gizmos to beat the wintry chill - you could spend days paging through 'Sharper Image' or one of those other 'I never knew I needed that' catalogs...

Blogger Thérèse said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Thérèse said...

Ah, to live in a place where 'ice scraper' is something you can live without... My oh my.

An ice scraper is a ~15" length of plastic, usually with a brush on one end, and a grooved sturdy bit that fans out a little on the other. You use it to scrape the ice off, then brush the snow and residual bits of ice off of your windows.

I keep one (Bertha - you understand that's why I'm mentioning it) in my car even during the summer. Not because I need it then, but because winter always sneaks up on me so I don't bother to remove it. I had use for Bertha in early November but then I live in Canada, where winter can mean colder than 25 degrees Celsius below sometimes.

You probably don't actually need an ice scraper if you can manage to remove the bit of frost you get in the morning with a napkin. You can probably get rid of it by turning the car on and warming it up for a few seconds.

Post a Comment

<< Home