Wednesday, September 01, 2004
Decided to re-post part of old blog.
I have decided, for no good reason other than I think it's vaguely interesting, to repost from an old blog, my postings during the firestorm of Sept. '03. I have, for your reading pleasure, put them in order to be read top to bottom.
Please note, this is a year-old reprint, not currently happening.


Sunday, October 26, 2003
# posted by Sarah @ 7:32 AM
So, greetings from smoke central. For those of you who don't live in the San Diego area, a brush fire, aided and abeted by strong winds, is ripping through east county. Last night JR and I came out of the homecoming afterparty at our alma mater to find a thin layer of ash falling. But since we couldn't smell smoke yet, no panic. This morning at about 6 AM, I woke up hacking on smoke blowing in my window. The road is closed off about two blocks from my apartment. The Rodeo, about a block away is full of horses belonging to the people forced to evacuate. The sky is orange and gray. The ash is still falling like innocent snow. The winds are the worst part, dragging the ash across the town. The area affected is a mostly rural area, and the hardest part is getting out all the livestock. Everyone is pitching in, bringing horse trailers and halters to help. Two people are confirmed dead. The santa ana winds (to the non-locals, santa ana winds are a local weather type. They are a dry wind that comes ripping out of the desert. The are gusty and unpredictable and they are a fireman's nightmare) are giving the fire wings. It is completely out of control and heading our way. We have all packed bags in case of evacuation, but I don't think we will need them. At least I hope not. But to be prepared, we have figured out who is carrying each cat and where we will meet if separated.


# posted by Sarah @ 7:00 PM

Well gang, this morning I gave the first update on the raging wildfires tearing through San Diego. It's gotton worse. I couldn't handle the rolling smoke at my apartment so I left. Last I heard, they evacuated the area but my apartment building is still standing last time I heard. I left with JR for my friend Bunny's house, but during dinner we were called to help JR's family evacuate. The firewall is creeping toward the side of their house. The ash and smoke have driven people to wear masks. Today driving across town was eerie. I was looking at houses backdropped by smoke and flame, but the windows were reflecting the last patch of blue sky. I saw a man wearing a face mask and smoking a cigarette. And everywhere ash, beautiful, stifling ash is falling. It feels like we are living in an ashtray. With the clouds of smoke, it seems it should be cold, but it's oppressively hot and dry. My nose feels like it is on fire. At least I know that my cat is being safetly watched by a friend and I took all the important stuff from my apartment this morning. My great grandmother's jewelry box, a picture of my little sister, a letter my brother wrote me in high school. My car registration (lets hope my wretched ugly car burns) and all six of my beloved stuffed animals. My roommates left to help my friend/coworkers evacuate this morning. They will spend the night at my wharehouse we work at, as long as that remains out of the path of the fire. Our other friends are with my roommates, who are hoping to get the all clear to return to our apartment. Otherwise they will spend the night at church. I was planning on staying at Bunnys tonight, but for the time being I need to stay with JR and his family. I'm on his computer now, and he is packing up his stuff. I'm happy (in the midst of all this) to note that he packed the pictures of us and the blankets I gave him on his birthday. In a time like this, you can surprise yourself with whats important. We don't know where we will be in the morning, but God was with the men (who's names I can't begin to know how to spell) in the fiery furnace and I feel His presence very strongly. Last I heard, we've lost hunderds of building and 11 people. Unfortuantly that was several hours ago and the numbers are all going up. We are going up to the roof now to wet it down and see how much more time we have. The firewall is about twenty feet but thats coming downhill and will climb when it hits the valley here and the trees. We might have hours or minutes. Sorry to leave you all like this, but this won't be my last entry, I know.


JR's house lit by the approaching fire. Posted by Hello


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home